Olé! Who is ready for Cinco de Mayo?? The day observed to commemorate the defeat of the French forces at the Battle of Puebla by the Mexican Army. But really, for Americans, we respectfully celebrate the day with Margaritas, Cerveza, and Mexican-inspired dishes like these tasty Chorizo & Black Bean Nachos with Salsa and Guacamole! Is there anything better? We don’t think so! Grab your molcajete and let’s get this fiesta started!!
Chorizo & Black Bean Nachos with Salsa and Guacamole
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 chipotle in adobo, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Simmer in a skillet for 10 -15 minutes. You want the flavors to have time to meld and the beans to be slightly dry.
Basic Cashew Cheeze
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 T miso
- non-dairy milk (use to desired consistency)
- In a food processor, process nuts until crumbly
- Add lemon juice, vinegar, and miso and process
- With processor running, slowly add non-dairy milk until desired consistency. Cheeze will thicken in the refrigerator.
- Scallions, sliced thin
- Cilantro, chopped
- Tortilla Chips
- 1/2 package of Chorizo Seitan (we love Upton’s Naturals)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- On a nonstick baking dish or parchment lined pan (we used our cast iron pizza pan, and it was perfect) layer desired amount of chips – roughly 20
- Drizzle on cheese
- Sprinkle on beans
- Sprinkle on chorizo
- Add another layer of chips and repeat steps 3-6 two more times.
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Serve with Salsa and Guacamole
- 5 Roma tomatoes halved
- 1/4 white onion, left quartered skin on
- 1 clove of garlic, whole skin on
- 1 jalapeno, serrano, Anaheim – pick your pepper
- 1/2 t cumin
- cilantro, minced
- Grill or broil tomato halves, onion quarter, garlic clove, and pepper until nice and brown
- If you have a molcajete (no molcajete, use a food processor), grind cumin, add grilled garlic and salt and grind to a paste
- Add onion, one petal at a time, grinding into a paste
- Add tomatoes, one-half at a time, working to break up the skins (with the first few it’s easy to break the skins, but as you get to the last few it’s harder to make contact with the molcajete.
- Stir in cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or whole if using a molcajete)
- 1/2 t cumin
- 3 avocados
- juice of 1 lime
- chopped tomatoes, 1/4-1/2 cup depending on flavor desired
- chopped red onion, 1/4 to 1/2 cup depending on flavor desired
- In your molcajete, grind garlic and cumin into a paste (no molcajete, use a sturdy bowl and pre-mince your garlic)
- Add avocados and mash into desired chunkiness.
- Add lime juice
- Gently stir in tomatoes, onion, and cilantro
We eat Mexican inspired dishes at least once a week. This tasty nacho recipe with the salsa and guacamole might just be our new go-to meal. The smoky flavor of the black beans and chorizo blended with the creamy cheeze topped with the moderate spice of the roasted salsa and the guac -OH THE GUAC! I am in love with this guac.
Please snap some pics of your Cinco de Mayo Fiestas and share your remakes of these tasty dishes! Tag us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram! @veginspired #veginspired
Off to Fiesta (or siesta?) VegInspired Style!
Kathy and John
If these nachos don’t inspire you or you want more deliciousness – click here for 5 more Cinco de Mayo Recipes (including a tasty margarita)!