Nutritional Yeast should actually be called “flaked gold”. Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast with a strong nutty, cheesy, or creamy flavor. Some folks love it, and others don’t. I love it! This hummus was inspired by our Basic Cashew Cheeze; I wanted to see if I could blend the cheesiness of the nutritional yeast with tradition chickpeas and get a tasty treat. I certainly got more than I bargained for; this healthy, plant-based, low-fat dip, spread, eat with a spoon recipe is a winner. Tangy Noochy Hummus is great with veggies or crackers, and it provides an excellent source of nutrients and delicious flavor.
Tangy Noochy Hummus
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1/2 C nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 t salt
- 3 T tahini
- 1 T miso
- 1 T Frank’s Red Hot (for a mild version. Increase amounts for medium and hot versions – may need less water if using more Franks)
- 1/4 c water (may decrease or increase slightly to your desired consistency)
- Pulse chickpeas in the food processor until crumbly
- Add the lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic, salt, tahini, and miso and pulse until mixed
- With the food processor running, drizzle in Frank’s and water until hummus has a creamy consistency.
- Serve with veggies, chips, crackers, pretzels, or on wraps and sandwiches.
This recipe takes healthy vegan food to the next level. I can have that cheesy, tangy flavor with the health benefits of beans! Be sure to tag us in your remakes of this recipe on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. How do you like to enjoy your hummus?