What are Zucchini Rellenos?
Zucchini(s): a smooth cylindrical, usually dark green, summer squash
Rellenos: stuffed, especially filled with cheese
This recipe epitomizes the definition of Rellenos. It changed my view of zucchini and awakened the endless possibilities for the use of zucchini. We have been fortunate to receive zucchinis in our CSA share boxes for the last few weeks. Coming up with creative ways to use the bountiful produce in these boxes is one of the joys of subscribing to a CSA. Whether you get CSA zucchinis, grow your own, or buy them at a market or grocery store, this Zucchini Rellenos recipe comes highly recommended.
- 2 medium zucchini, stem removed, halved lengthwise
- salt and pepper
- gold potatoes
- veggie broth
- poblano or Anaheim chiles
- cashew cheese sauce (see below)
- Chorizo Seitan Crumbles (we use Upton’s Naturals)
- Boil potatoes until tender
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler
- Broil chiles until blackened on all sides; transfer to a covered dish to steam for a few minutes, then peel and slice the chiles
- Remove about 1/4-1/2 inch of zucchini from the center of the halves (we use a melon baller for an even scoop, but a spoon works too; the center can be snacked on with a little salt)
- Season zucchinis with salt and pepper and broil on both sides until cooked
- Cook seitan crumbles according to package directions
- Partially mashed potatoes and mix with veggie broth, paprika, oregano and salt to desired consistency and taste
- Fill zucchini halves with potato mixture, drizzle with cheese sauce, and top with roasted chiles and chorizo seitan
Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 3 c water
- 1/2 c cashews
- 1/4 c nutritional yeast
- 1/2 t chili powder
- 3 T powdered nondairy milk or 3T nondairy liquid
- Blend in High-Efficiency blender until smooth
- Heat in sauce pan to thicken
Be ready for a party in your mouth.
Want more zucchini recipes? Grilled Zucchini with Grilled Garlic Scape Hummus & Tabouli, Easy Vegan Taco Bowl, & Grilled Zucchini, Garlic Scapes, & Green Onions.
Be sure to share your creations on social media. Use the #veginspiredfoodies so we can check out your ideas!