Tender and flavorful apple slices sandwiched between two layers of cinnamon spiced granola round out these delicious fall granola bars. Making these apple pie granola bars was our first real dive into fall recipes (
We used a nice sized Granny Smith Apple that we peeled and sliced thin. It held it’s texture under through the baking process and gave the bars a nice
We used the method from Serious Eats of soaking the apple slices to make them perfectly tender, and it worked like a dream. Definitely, a
A spiced mix of oats, seeds, nuts, maple syrup, and tahini lend themselves nicely to this pan of treats. The granola needed to be hearty enough to stand on its own and bake to perfection to hold up to the apples. This blend was perfect and yielded scrumptious apple pie treats that would be perfect for breakfast, snacks, or in a lunchbox (or honestly, slightly warmed and paired with a big scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream)! YUM!
Apple Pie Granola Bars
Granola Base Ingredients
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts (or chia, flax seeds)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
Apple Pie Filling Ingredients
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, and sliced into 1/16 slices
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, *or sweetener of choice
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar, *or sweetener of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- lemon, juice from half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, line baking dish (8x8) with parchment paper - leave edges so you can lift bars out for cooling.
- Mix all granola ingredients
- Pack 1/2 of granola mixture into 8x8 baking dish, bake for 10-12 minutes - until golden brown
- Bring about 1 cup water to boil.
- Place sliced apples in shallow dish, add warm water and soak for about 4- 5 minutes until apples are tender, yet still textured.
- Drain apples. Dress with juice from half a lemon and mix with cinnamon, sugars, corn starch
- After granola base is baked, evenly disperse apples into a nice layer on top of base, add second half of granola mixture and pack down gently.
- Bake apple pie granola bars for 18-24 minutes, until granola is browned and golden.
- Cool granola bars in pan for 2 hours, and then cool completely before cutting.
- Store in airtight container for 3-5 days.
*sugar/sweetener options could be date syrup, date sugar, maple syrup, or sweetener of your choice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 346Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 30mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 5gSugar: 16gProtein: 10g
Watch the Recipe Video Here
We created this recipe in collaboration with our YouTube Pals; and if you want to watch all six apple themed recipes, click this link to head to the playlist. Or click the image below to view our recipe video.
Are you ready for fall?
These apple pie granola bars are such a fall treat. I love them, but I am not sure I am ready for fall. It was a 48 degree low where we are camped/parked this week, and that is a bit too chilly for my liking. Want to know more? Follow along on our travels on Instagram. We share recipes,
Until next time, Eat More Plants & Live VegInspired!