Breakfast; the most important meal of the day! I thought I had breakfast all figured out, a quick smoothie or bowl of oatmeal was sufficient. They kept me satisfied, and they are pretty tasty. Then I created these Banana Blueberry Muffins- vegan, and they have thrown my whole breakfast plan right out of the window. As I write this, I am contemplating whether I should whip up another batch for breakfast this week. To keep these as oil-free as possible, I omitted the oil/butter from the recipe (I did grease the muffin tins though). Don’t worry; they still have an excellent texture and fluffiness with our VegInspired twist.
Muffins – Banana Blueberry Muffins- vegan
Fluffy and moist, this Banana Blueberry Muffins will rock your breakfast routine!
- 6 T water
- 2 T ground flax
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 1 c sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 1/2 c plain coconut non-dairy yogurt
- 1 sm applesauce lunch box sized - 5 oz
- 1 large very ripe banana
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 1/2 c of frozen blueberries toss in 1 T of flour just before mixing
- Preheat oven to 375, grease muffin tins
- Make 2 flax eggs - bring 6 T water and 2 T ground flax to a simmer and simmer until thick and goopy, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl
- In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, applesauce, banana, vanilla, and flax eggs
- Fold wet ingredients into dry - do not overmix - some dry streaks are okay.
- Gently add in the floured blueberries
- If using large tins, add about 1/3 cup batter to tin, if using mini tins, add about 1 T of batter to tins, go back around and even out the batter.
- Large tins bake 25-28 minutes; small tins bake 11-14 minutes
- Cool in tins for about 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack for at least 10 minutes before serving. (If you can wait that long).
The whole house smelled incredible, and the VegInspired Chef raved about these muffins for an entire week – to everyone who would listen. The ratios of the banana and applesauce were the perfect combination to keep the muffins moist. Let us know if you whip up a batch of these for yourself (and your loved ones) and be sure to share your pics on social media using #veginspiredfoodie