Breakfast; the most important meal of the day! I thought I had breakfast all figured out, a quick smoothie or bowl of oatmeal was sufficient. They kept me satisfied, and they are pretty tasty. Then I created these Banana Blueberry Muffins- vegan, and they have thrown my whole breakfast plan right out of the window. As I write this, I am contemplating whether I should whip up another batch for breakfast this week. To keep these as oil-free as possible, I omitted the oil/butter from the recipe (I did grease the muffin tins though). Don’t worry; they still have an excellent texture and fluffiness with our VegInspired twist.
Muffins – Banana Blueberry Muffins- vegan
- 6 T water
- 2 T ground flax
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 1 c sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 1/2 c plain coconut, non-dairy yogurt
- 1 sm applesauce, lunch box sized - 5 oz
- 1 large very ripe banana
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 1/2 c of frozen blueberries, toss in 1 T of flour just before mixing
- Preheat oven to 375, grease muffin tins
- Make 2 flax eggs - bring 6 T water and 2 T ground flax to a simmer and simmer until thick and goopy, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl
- In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, applesauce, banana, vanilla, and flax eggs
- Fold wet ingredients into dry - do not overmix - some dry streaks are okay.
- Gently add in the floured blueberries
- If using large tins, add about 1/3 cup batter to tin, if using mini tins, add about 1 T of batter to tins, go back around and even out the batter.
- Large tins bake 25-28 minutes; small tins bake 11-14 minutes
- Cool in tins for about 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack for at least 10 minutes before serving. (If you can wait that long).
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
The whole house smelled incredible, and the VegInspired Chef raved about these muffins for an entire week – to everyone who would listen. The ratios of the banana and applesauce were the perfect combination to keep the muffins moist. Let us know if you whip up a batch of these for yourself (and your loved ones) and be sure to share your pics on social media using #veginspiredfoodie