This recipe for Buffalo Tempeh Pizza was on a whim, we were craving pizza and buffalo and we had these ingrients and BAM -a Buffalo Tempeh Pizza! And it turned out pretty darn good!! It’s reminiscent of growing up in western New York, where all things are buffalo style in some form. The breadcrumbs give it a true “buffalo chicken” mouthfeel and the daiya added just the right amount of creaminess (any vegan cheese would work!). We’ve found that a little vegan cheese goes a long way, and works best in small quantities compared to the larger amounts you’re used to with dairy cheese. The creamy herb veg dressing drizzled on top made this pizza a home run!
Buffalo Tempeh Pizza with a Creamy Veg Herb Dressing
- 1 recipe pizza dough below or enough for 2 14 -inch pizzas
- 1 recipe creamy herb veg dressing below
- 8 oz. package of tempeh crumbled
- 1/2 C panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 C Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 2 T almond milk or soy milk
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Daiya or other non-dairy mozzarella style cheese
- 1 rib of celery finely diced
- 4 C all purpose flour
- 1 package instant yeast 2 1/4 tsp
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 T sugar
- 1 3/4 C water warmed to the touch (in microwave for 30-60 seconds) or to about 105 degrees (no hotter than 110 degrees)
- 2-4 T non-dairy milk
- 1/4 C veganaise
- 1/4 C vegan sour cream
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dill
- 1/4 tsp agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp seasoning salt
- Prepare dough (see below). Place a pizza baking stone, pizza steel, or cast iron pizza pan in the oven on the lower middle rack. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Meanwhile, mix the hot sauce, milk, vinegar, sugar, cornstarch, garlic powder, cayenne, celery salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Toast breadcrumbs in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat until deep brown but not black. Set breadcrumbs aside.
- Bring tempeh and 1 C water to boil and boil over medium heat until liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add the sauce and heat through until thickened and clinging to the tempeh. Stir in the breadcrumbs. Set the buffalo tempeh aside.
- Top prepared pizza dough with half of the buffalo tempeh and celery. Slide onto the stone in the oven and bake until starting to brown, about 8-9 minutes. Sprinkle about 1/2 C of Daiya and continue baking until the cheese is melted, 2-3 more minutes.
- Serve drizzled (or on the side) with creamy herb veg dressing.
- Add dry ingredients to a heavy-duty stand mixer with a dough hook. While the machine is running add the water. Knead in the mixer for about 8 minutes (you can also knead by hand until smooth and elastic). The dough should be tacky but not quite sticky (shouldn't come off on your hand when touched). In the mixer, it should clear the sides of the bowl but stick to the very bottom. Knead in more flour if it's too wet, 1-2 tablespoons at a time, or more water if too dry. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 to 2 hours depending on room temperature.
- Remove dough to a lightly floured work surface. Flatten dough with floured hands and cut into two pieces. Roll each into a ball and cover each with plastic wrap or an inverted bowl for about 10 minutes.
- Using floured or oiled hands, stretch each dough ball out on a square of parchment paper to about a 14-inch circle. Place the parchment with dough on a peel or inverted baking sheet for easy sliding into the oven.
Mix all ingredient except milk
Add milk to desired consistency
We hope you enjoy this Buffalo Tempeh Pizza! Snap some pics and share on social media using #veginspirefoodie so we can see your delicious creations!
Eat More Plants & Live VegInspired!
Kathy & John