Freekeh is Freekeh’n delicious! This adoption of plant-based eating has introduced us to new and exciting grains, vegetables, fruits, and spices. In this Cajun Freekeh with Kale recipe, we use Freekeh to give the dish a hearty and healthy kick. Freekeh is a high fiber wheat product – healthy, tasty, and satiating. We used a couple of Tofurky Andouille sausages for the spice, and they were the perfect addition to take this Freekeh and Kale dish to the next level. Let’s jump right into this recipe so you can enjoy it too We served ours with Creole Spice Crusted Potatoes – which also turned out perfectly, so we included that recipe as well – it’s a twofer post!
- 1 small onion, diced fine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 C veggie broth
- 1 C freekeh
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped
- 2 Tofurky Andouille Sausage Links, diced
- In a large [3 qt] saute pan, saute onion until soft
- Add minced garlic and vegetable broth
- Pour in uncooked freekeh and bring to boil
- Add kale, and cook covered on low for about 20 minutes until freekeh is tender
- Add sausage to heat through toward the end of cooking, or microwave until hot and add at the end
- Squeeze the juice of half of a lemon, sprinkle liberally with paprika, and salt & pepper to taste
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 g
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
This Cajun Freekeh with Kale recipe was incredible! Freekah will most definitely become a pantry staple in the VegInspired kitchen. And the crusted potatoes might make an appearance more frequently in our meals – they were delicious! Please be sure to #veginspiredfoodie for your remakes. Let us know what you think in the comments below.