Cincinnati (skyline) Chili
One of our favorite regional meals before embracing a vegan lifestyle was Cincinnati (skyline) Chili. The sweet spiced chili paired with raw onions, cheese, oyster crackers and beans piled high atop cooked spaghetti…there are no words for the awesomeness! We felt it was time to veganize this favorite on a chilly, fall day. We hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
- 2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted & ground in a food processor
- 1 cup bulgar
- 1 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 c water
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion
- 1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/4 oz dried shiitake mushrooms, Asian market, minced
- cooked spaghetti
- shredded vegan cheddar ), (we like to shred a block in the fine holes of a grater, curving the block as you shred to get those long strands
- diced onion
- oyster crackers
- hot sauce, (optional)
- Sauté onion until soft.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cayenne, cinnamon, cloves, oregano, & cocoa powder. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomato sauce, water, bulgar, walnuts, kidney beans, shiitakes. Bring to a simmer, and simmer until bulgar is cooked, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add sugar and vinegar. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve over spaghetti with shredded vegan cheddar, diced onion, oyster crackers, and hot sauce.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Share your thoughts below and share your pics on social media using the #veginspiredfoodie if you try this VegInspired dish!