One of the last things I ate before completely omitting animal products was deviled eggs. In fact, I asked my friend to make them for my bridal shower, and I think I ate about 6. They were so good! Well, eggs, since they come from an animal, are part of the foods I chose to omit from my diet. Hard-boiled and deviled eggs were one of my favorite picnic foods. I knew I had to find a way to replicate the taste while still maintaining the flair of the food. Enter potatoes. First, they are a starch, so that is good, second they can be boiled and scooped out (like potato skins), so that worked, and third, they pair great with mayo and mustard. So, while the filling of these resembles a potato salad, it perfectly fits into the picnic food and replicates those deviled eggs I loved.
We made these alongside several other picnic recipes and served them to my mom… She loved them! So, my friends, these Deviled Potatoes are omnivore approved!
- 6 small gold or red potatoes
- 1/4 cup Vegenaise
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Paprika to sprinkle on top
- Green olives with pimentos for garnish, optional
- Boil the potatoes gently until soft when poked with a knife (adding a splash of vinegar to the water helps prevent the skins from splitting)
- Let cool
- Slice potatoes in half and scoop out center, leaving about 1/4" of potato left in skin
- Mash potato centers to desired texture.
- Mix mashed centers, vegenaise, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper
- Fill potato, (I use a spoon for a heaping scoop, or if I am feeling fancy -I used a Ziploc bag and cut the tip off the corner)
- Sprinkle with paprika and garnish
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do. They were good at room temperature right after making them and also cold the next day. Let us know in the comments how you liked them and #veginspiredfoodie on social media.