I have a list of over 50 kitchen items (from gadgets to appliances to serving ware) that are “essential” in our VegInspired Kitchen. Trying to narrow it down to write a Vegan Gift Guide post, was difficult, to say the least. When I checked off the items I use every day, I had over 15! Yes, I do a lot of dishes too, don’t judge. Cooking Vegan doesn’t have to be hard; we chose to use 15 items and some of those – like the coffee grinder, coffee maker, cutting board, and Vitamix are easy to clean! Look at that, I snuck in 4 of my top 15. So to round off those 4, in this Gift Guide-Rice Cooker post, I am going to share about our Rice Cooker. Our Aroma Housewares 20 Cup Cooked (10 Cup uncooked) Digital Rice Cooker, Slow Cooker, Food Steam, SS Exterior – what a mouthful!
Gift Guide-Rice Cooker-10.26.16
I will be honest, I was a bit skeptical when the VegInpired chef suggested a rice cooker. A rice cooker seemed to be just another kitchen appliance that we didn’t really have room for and would hardly use. Boy, was I mistaken! We use our rice cooker at least 3 times a week. Now remember, we follow a whole food plant-based vegan way of eating – so starches and grains are the main ingredients. For more about this Starch-Based Diet read The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall, or visit www.drmcdougall.com.
My favorite features of this Rice Cooker:
- Easy to program
- Fluffy, perfect rice and quinoa every time! – EVERYTIME!
- Auto Start (so we can start before work, and the rice is ready for dinner. We’ve also started at night, and the rice is ready in the morning so we can take it for lunch!)
- Steamer basket for steamed vegetables – Does it get any easier than that?
- Easy to clean
I know that the rice cooker has many other features, I just haven’t used them…yet.
This appliance would make the perfect gift for an individual looking to meal prep, a two person household, or a family. Anyone looking to make a quick and easy dinner would find this useful. It is extremely easy to use, it’s not heavy, and it’s quick to clean. It is large, but I think it is worth the cabinet space it takes up.
You are probably wondering, “A rice cooker, what would I make with that?” So, I thought I would share some of our favorite meals and VegInspired recipes to accompany this post.
Quick Meals and Recipes Using your Rice Cooker
- Brown rice and frozen vegetables – cook your preferred rice type (jasmine is my favorite, with brown as a close second) and add your favorite mixed frozen vegetables
- Quinoa or Rice and steamed vegetables – cook your preferred rice and add your favorite fresh vegetables to the steamer basket to steam (check your rice cooker manual for cooking times)
- Basmati or Jasmine rice with vegetable kebabs
- Fresh garden salad with a scoop of quinoa – greens, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, mix it all up and add a scoop of quinoa and your favorite dressing
- Sushi Rice Bowl – Cook your sushi rice in the rice cooker, season and add your favorite sushi toppings (carrots, cucumber, avocado, sesame seeds, etc.)
- Quick and Easy Fajita Bowls
- New Orleans Style Red Beans, Tempeh, and Rice
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili
- Easy Vegan Taco Bowl
- Thai Red Curry
- Barbecue Quinoa BowlRainbow Quinoa Salad
- Quinoa Bowl with Orange-Tahini Dressing
Pretty much anything can be served over rice or with rice as a side dish. And since this Rice Cooker can also cook soups, stews, chilis, oatmeal,quinoa, and other grains (check the manual for details) it is truly a gem.
Click here to learn more about the Aroma Housewares 20 Cup Cooked (10 cup uncooked) Digital Rice Cooker, Slow Cooker, Food Steamer, SS Exterior (ARC-150SB).
Happy VegInspired Shopping!