Squash, of all varieties, often sparks the question, “what are we going to make?” Curries, roasted squash, risotto, stuffed squash…the options are endless. We decided that we would try a hearty stuffed acorn squash recipe using a stuffing made with bulgur and lentils. The texture was perfect and the blend of spices and flavors-divine. This would make an excellent side dish for Thanksgiving or other fall dinner party.
Hearty Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 4-6 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1/2 C dry bulgur
- 1/2 C dry lentils
- small onion, finely diced
- 1 14 oz block firm tofu
- 1 C breadcrumbs
- 1/2 C chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- salt & pepper
- Follow Your Heart Parmesan Shreds, optional - they add a very nice salty and nuttiness
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Salt & pepper the inside of each squash half; place squash cut side down on a parchment-lined [or aluminum foil lined brushed with a small amount of oil to prevent sticking] baking sheet; roast for 30-50 minutes until a knife slides easily through.
- Bring bulgur and 1 C water to a boil in a small saucepan; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until bulgar is tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Bring lentils and 2C water to boil in a saucepan; add 1/2 tsp salt and simmer until lentils are tender, 20-30 minutes; drain.
- Sauté onion in a small amount of water over medium heat until soft
- Food process tofu until creamy;
- Mix tofu with the bulgur, lentils, onion, breadcrumbs, pecans, thyme, and sage; salt & pepper to taste.
- Turn squash flesh side up and mound with the filling; bake for 15 minutes more until browned and cooked through
You may top with 1 T parmesan shreds on each squash half in the last 5 minutes.
Or make a nut-nutritional yeast parm and top before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 380Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 209mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 14gSugar: 3gProtein: 17g
Prefer to watch the Hearty Stuffed Acorn Recipe on Video?
Happy Fall! Live VegInspired!
Kathy and John