Indian Spiced Chana Dal and Chard
We had never had Chana Dal and tried this delicious combination of Indian Spiced Chana Dal and Chard over some white rice and boy are we happy with the results. We used a stovetop pressure cooker, but you could prepare without a pressure cooker if one is not available. We hope you enjoy as much as we did!
- 1 bunch of chard, stems removed and chopped, leaves sliced in 1/4" ribbons
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin, whole and toasted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Onion, chopped
- Diced tomatoes 14 oz can, drained
- 1 1/2 chana dal, rinsed and soaked for 2 hours
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- Toast or sauté whole cumin seeds briefly in pressure cooker until fragrant, stirring constantly
- Add stems and onions, sauté until soft
- Add spices and garlic, sauté until fragrant
- Add chana dal, chard leaves, water, and salt
- Close pressure cooker and bring to high pressure.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then release pressure. (If not using a pressure cooker, simmer for 30 minutes or until dal is tender)
- Stir in tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add freshly squeezed lemon juice, cilantro, salt, and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
We love these colorful and flavorful plant-based meals. Be sure to tag @veginspired #vegispiredfoodie on Instagram. We like to see your VegInspired version!
Kathy & John