Cheezy potatoes loaded with sauteed onions, tempeh bacon, and baked to perfection? Where do I sign up?! These Loaded Baked Mashed Potatoes will be the star of your dinner table. Perfectly creamy and cheezy with that top layer of crispy baked potato goodness, you better make double because everyone will want a second helping!
Some links may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Loaded Baked Mashed Potatoes
This recipe is in partnership with our friends at Notcho Nocheez. Their original Notcho Nocheez almond spread is the perfect cheezy goodness that levels up these potatoes. Extraordinary flavor and texture to really wow your dinner guests. Pair this with the Sweet and Smoky Ham by Isa Chandra and my Red and Green Salad, and you’ll have yourself one heck of a festive dinner! My pals at Notcho Nocheez have given us a 10% off code to share with you. Use code “veginspired” for 10% off when you order direct. https://notchonocheez.com
I love a big plate of mashed potatoes and gravy, but sometimes I like to change things up a bit. While this recipe is slightly time-consuming, I promise the result is worth it! Start by boiling your potatoes and then mashing them with unsweetened non-dairy milk. If you are making this to bake right now, get your oven preheated to 350°F. If you are prepping it to toss in the fridge and then bake in a day or two, no need to preheat the oven just yet. See the notes in the recipe for full details on baking from the fridge.
For these loaded beauties, we are going to mix in sauteed diced onions, flavorful and cheezy Notcho Nocheez, and a nice portion of chopped Tempeh Bacon (or you can purchase Lightlife’s Smoky Tempeh). A few other spices and ingredients round out the flavors to take this dish to the next level.
The Whole (Food, Plant-Based) Deal
This recipe is unique because it utilizes whole plant foods to create a delicious and flavorful side dish (or honestly, it can be the main attraction if you are a potato lover like me). Using nutritional yeast and a clean, plant-based CHEEZ, you are skipping the oil often found in vegan butter and vegan cheese. The addition of tempeh provides a nutritious punch of protein to complete your dish.
Loaded Baked Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 onion (roughly 1 cup) sliced
- 4 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 cups tempeh bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup Notcho Nocheez, original
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large stockpot, boil your potatoes for about 15 minutes or until a knife slides into the potatoes easily, drain
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, over medium heat, add your sliced onions, let them saute, and get slightly browned before adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to prevent burning. Continue to saute until onions are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Mash your potatoes with a potato masher and add non-dairy milk until they've reached a creamy texture. Stir in onions, tempeh, nutritional yeast, Notcho Nocheez, salt, pepper, and garlic. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer potatoes to a large baking dish. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let potatoes sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
* If making ahead, refrigerate until you preheat the oven, remove the potatoes from the refrigerator to bring to room temperature while the oven preheats. Bake for about 45 minutes until potatoes are heated through.
-5 pounds makes a lot of potatoes; this recipe can easily be halved.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’d love to hear from you. Comment below and let me know what you think about this recipe. If you make this recipe, snap a pic and tag @veginspired #veginspiredfoodie on Instagram or Facebook; I love to see your creations!