Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
We’ve made several versions of vegan macaroni and cheese, including ingredients such as butternut squash, cashews, cauliflower, and a celeriac/peppadew version that ended in disaster (and into the trash). This is the first one that resembled macaroni and cheeses of pre-vegan years past, and if not better, tasted as good as remembered. We like to top our serving with celery salt and hot sauce (Texas Pete or Frank’s works well). Maybe next time, we’ll mix in some broccoli to kick the nutrition up a notch.
*edited – we added taco seasoning to this recipe and served it as the filling for tacos… let’s just say EPIC!
- 1 lb Cavatappi or other macaroni
- 4 cup soy milk
- 1 8 oz package vegan cheddar cheese, such as Daiya or So Delicious
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- To make the cheese sauce, blend 1 C of the soy milk with the flour, mustard, and paprika in a blender (or use a stick blender) just until smooth with no lumps (Alternatively you can make a roux with the flour and vegan butter and then slowly add the soy milk) Add to a saucepan with the rest of the milk bring to a simmer. Simmer on low until velvety and the flour loses its raw taste/smell, about 30 minutes. Add the cheese and hot sauce and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, cook the macaroni in salted water (1 T salt to 4 qt water) until al dente and drain.
- Stir the macaroni into the cheese sauce, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the macaroni into a broiler-safe 13×9 inch baking pan, sprinkle with bread crumbs, and broil until golden brown.
- Serve with celery salt and hot sauce.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Tag us @veginspired and #veginspiredfoodie on Instagram or leave a comment below! This recipe is sure to be a favorite!! It is at our house!
Enjoy and live VegInspired!
Kathy & John