We’ve been on a bean kick lately and got a hankering for some Creole cooking. Red beans and rice is a traditional dish down on the bayou, and we jazzed it up with some tempeh, corn, and tomatoes. If you can find it, pickled okra makes an awesome addition to the meal. We used Rick’s Picks Smokra (pickled okra with smoked paprika). Pickled onions are great, too, and easy to make homemade with just some heated red wine vinegar, sugar (about a 1 to 3 ratio to the vinegar), and a pinch of salt. Just dissolve the sugar and pour over the onions.
- 8 oz dry red beans, picked over and rinsed
- 1 8 oz package tempeh, cubed into about 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 Roma or plum tomatoes, diced
- Cook rice, slice scallions, and chop pickled okra and/or pickled onions for serving
- Sauté onions, peppers, and celery over medium heat until soft, about 6-8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the corn and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover, increase heat to maintain a vigorous simmer for 30 minutes or until the beans are soft, and the liquid has reduced.
- Add corn and tomatoes, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste, and serve over rice with scallions and pickled okra and/or pickled onions
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
We hope you love this recipe and live VegInspired!;). Tag us on Instagram @veginspired, #veginspiredfoodie and/or comment below.
Kathy & John