A good, chewy chocolate chip cookie takes me straight back to childhood. I remember my mom making chocolate chip cookies and my dad, and I would “fight” over the spoon. This recipe came to me by accident, I made some pumpkin muffins and had leftover pumpkin. I asked the VegInspired chef if he thought the pumpkin would work in cookies and still make them thick and chewy. He thought it would, so that became the mission. Now that these are done and ready to eat, I think the pumpkin is very subtle, but the result is perfect. A chewy, chocolatey chip cookie that is oil-free and vegan! Woo-Hoo!!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
YUM! Pumpkin Everything! AMIRIGHT?!
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 t ground flax
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 9 tablespoon pumpkin purée
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 325 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Heat flax and water to a simmer in a small saucepan until it has "thick, goopy" consistency, set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a small bowl
- Cream sugars and pumpkin, smashing against the side of the bowl to work out chucks of pumpkin and get a creamy consistency. Add, vanilla, flax mixture and almond milk.
- Fold in dry ingredients and combine until well mixed
- Add in chocolate chips
- Drop 1-2 T sized dough balls onto prepared baking sheets. Bake 1 sheet at a time for 15-20 minutes, rotating halfway through. Take cookies out when edges are lightly brown, set and center is still soft.
- Cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes, finish cooling on cooling rack.
It’s only fair to share
We hope you like these as much as we do. We decided we would stock up on pumpkin so we can make them anytime we are craving a cookie! Be sure to tag @veginspired and #veginspirefoodie when you make these little delights for yourself!