Most of us, at least once in our lives, have eaten at the infamous arched fast food restaurant. Their signature sandwich, with its catchy song, may have been what drew us to the restaurant, or it could have been the fries. I gave those famous burgers up a long time ago, but who doesn’t love a veganized version of past indulgence (ew, it grosses me out to think that was EVER enjoyable!)? Not only did we veganize it, but we added a healthy, veginspired twist – spinach! Oh, and we ate it in a bowl, because bowls are fun, easy to eat, and are much simpler to photograph than a sandwich (wink, wink!). We think this version is wholesome and delicious, and definitely an upgrade from those burgers of the past. As requested, here is our recipe for the “Special Sauce” Vegan Burger Bowl.
What you need to put it all together:
- Cooked grains, we used Super Grains from Whole Foods, but rice or quinoa would work well
- Veggie Burger (any veggie burger will do, we used The Ultimate Veggie Burger recipe from the Vegetarian Book by Cooks Illustrated).
- French cut potatoes, salted & baked at 450 F on parchment until browned on both sides (about 20 minutes the first side, then 10-15 the second)
- spinach, thinly sliced/shredded
- onions, thinly sliced
- Special Sauce (recipe below)
- Dill pickles, sliced
- 1 part Ketchup
- 2 parts Vegenaise
- 1 tablespoon (or to taste) Sweet Relish
- White Vinegar
- Add Vegenaise and ketchup to bowl.
- Add relish to taste
- Stir in white vinegar to taste (and until desired consistency)
- Salt to taste
(adapted from America's Test Kitchen)
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
ASSEMBLE THE “SPECIAL SAUCE” VEGAN BURGER BOWL
- Drizzle with Special Sauce
- Sesame Seeds (optional)
We were seriously impressed at the deliciousness of this bowl. Please share your versions on Instagram, and Facebook @veginspired #veginspiredfoodie Enjoy your #meatlessmonday burger bowl recipe!