Who doesn’t love a good pizza? What about a good -errr- make that a FANTASTIC VEGAN pepperoni pizza? I bet you’ll really enjoy this one! We grabbed a package of plain seitan and processed it up with some tasty spices and herbs to give it the perfect pepperoni flavoring and texture without the animal products! Winner! Winner! Supreme Pizza with Seitan Pepperoni for dinner!
Growing up, pizza was one of those special treats. If we were really lucky, my grandma would suggest we stay for dinner (that was the best because she would get the pizza with mushrooms and olives like my brother and I loved), or we’d grab the local pepperoni and cheese on a busy night at home. When adopting a vegan lifestyle, I sought to find a good pizza that would even come close… not much luck. I haven’t found one delivery pizza chain that offers vegan cheese. We’ve had them deliver a cheeseless one and put our cheese on it, but it is usually veggies and sauce, which don’t get me wrong, is tasty. But sometimes I want that ooey, gooey cheesy pepperoni (mushroom and olive) pizza.
Fortunately for us, we have a couple of local restaurants around Pittsburgh that carry vegan cheese and vegan toppings like sausage and pepperoni, and we can grab those when we don’t feel like cooking, but this homemade version is sure to be a remake in your home like it is ours!
So why pepperoni, you might be asking. Well, we have done sausage flavored onions, peppers, and mushrooms in the past and it turned out so tasty. But we wanted to try to incorporate some seitan to get that texture that we like without using the oily faux pepperonis (no offense to those, they are good, just trying to skip the extra oil-every tablespoon counts). We grabbed the seitan and the food processor and used some spices and herbs to flavor up the seitan into pepperoni crumbles if you will. When baked on top of the pizza, they will remind you of those little crumbles on the pizza bagel bite things… let me know in the comments if you agree.
- 1 8oz package of seitan, plain
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, (or more for spicier)
- 1 teaspoon liquid aminos, (or 26 sprays)
- 2 12-16 crusts or dough
- 1 jar pizza sauce
- 1 Vegan Mozzarella, We like So Delicious Shreds
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- Go Veggie Vegan Parmesan
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced bell pepper, we used red and green
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 batch Seitan Pepperoni
- peperoncini rings
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees Fahrenheit (or according to your pizza dough recipe/crust instructions). We preheat our cast iron pizza pan with the oven (if you have a pizza stone, you could preheat that as well).
- Process all ingredients for Seitan Pepperoni into crumbles
- Prepare pizza dough/crusts, top with sauce, vegan cheese
- Sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, Go Veggie Parm, basil, oregano
- Add 1/2 of the seitan pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, olives, peperoncini
- Sprinkle with a bit more Go Veggie Parm
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, rotating 1/2 way through
- Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
The Video- Supreme Pizza with Seitan Pepperoni
Thanks for your support! Be sure to #veginspiredfoodie when you make your Supreme Pizza with Seitan Pepperoni! We love to see your creations.
Until Next Time-
Eat More Plants and Live VegInspired!