Tex Mex Tempeh and Bean Chili
We were going for a deeply spiced, hearty chili, and we think we nailed it with this Tex Mex Tempeh and Bean Chili! Leftovers the next day – lunch couldn’t come soon enough! We ate this with saltine crackers and cornbread. We’ve also perfected our cornbread recipe, which we make in a cast iron skillet! WINNER!
- 8 oz package of tempeh, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 15 oz cans kidney beans
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes, chopped coarse, juice reserved
- 1 28 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoo ground cumin
- 3 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Sauté onions, peppers, and spices on medium heat in a large Dutch oven or pot until softened, 7-8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and 2 tsp salt, and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes. Add tempeh and beans, cover, and continue to cook for another 30 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Let us know how you like it. Tag @ veginspired #veginspiredfoodie on Instagram or leave a comment below!
John & Kathy