This Vegan Baked Lasagna is just like mom used to make, only veganized! I find that a baked casserole is one of the best comfort foods around. There is something homey about heating the oven and baking a delicious dinner. Time spent prepping is rewarded by the gradual aroma that fills the kitchen as the meal bakes. Lasagna is one of those childhood faves that is best made by mom and happily enjoyed at the family table. In veganizing this dish we kicked it up a notch with a quick and easy chunky tomato sauce, a unique blend of “meaty” goodness, and a simple, yet classic tofu ricotta. Layered with love, this lasagna was a winner, good to the very last piece.
Vegan Baked Lasagna
- 1 pound of lasagna noodles boiled, drained, laid on clean kitchen towel to remove excess water
- 2 links vegan sausage cut into 1/2" discs (we used Field Roast Italian Sausage)
- 1 bag of vegan meatballs thawed slightly cut into thirds (we used Gardein Meatless Meatballs)
- 16 oz of vegan mozzarella shreds we used Follow your Heart Gourmet Shreds
- 1-2 batches of tofu ricotta recipe below, we used one batch, but if you like a lot of ricotta, use two
- 1 batch of Chunky Tomato Sauce recipe below
- Parmesnooch nutritional yeast, nut blend, recipe below or your favorite vegan Parmesan
- 4-6 garlic cloves minced
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes we used Muir Glen
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes we used Muir Glen
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- dash of red pepper flakes you could probably add more if you want it bit spicier
- salt & pepper
- 1 block of firm tofu crumbled
- 2 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup nuts we use walnuts for a heartier Parmesan
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In lasagna pan, 10x13 spread 1/2 cup of Chunky Tomato Sauce on the bottom of the pan
Layer: Noodles, Tofu Ricotta, Alternate sausages and meatballs, Mozzarella, Sauce
Repeat to a total of 3 layers
Finish with noodles and cheese, sprinkle top with parmesnooch.
Cover with foil and baked 25 minutes
Remove foil and bake additional 15-20 minutes or until bubbling and top is browned
Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting and serving
Saute onion in a little olive oil or water until soft; add garlic and saute briefly
Add tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes; salt and pepper to taste.
Blend in a food processor until desired consistency
Blend in a food processor until desired consistency.
We loved this veganized version of home cooking. Please share your remakes on Instagram @veginspired, #veginspiredfoodie and on Facebook. We love hearing from you. Do you have a family style dish, like lasagna, that you would like to see us Veganize??? Comment below, and we will give it a whirl!
Eat more Plants and Live VegInspired,