Chicken Flavored Jackfruit
YES! I have wanted a “chicken” style taco since going vegan, and I finally perfected our Chik’n Jackfruit recipe! It is perfect in tacos, wraps, and bowls. (Next up is a Buffalo Style Chik’n Dip)! YUM!
We wanted the jackfruit to take on the flavors of the herbs and spices we used, so we simmered it covered for about 25 minutes until the liquid had a chance to flavor our shredded jackfruit.
Wait, what is jackfruit?
We hear this question a lot, jackfruit is a fruit. You can find it young – which is unripe and has a more mild flavor – usually canned. Or ripe, which has a much sweeter flavor and more often used in desserts. It grows in tropical regions.
Jackfruit is starchy, loaded with fiber, and low in fat, so it is a great addition to a whole food plant based diet.
The key in this recipe is shredding the jackfruit and then rinsing it very well. Rinsing after the jackfruit is shredded, helps to remove any brine that is on the jackfruit and neutralizes the flavor of the jackfruit, so it tastes better when flavored your way. We used this same method in our Spicy BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich Recipe – which is a popular one!
- 2 20oz cans Young Jackfruit
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning or turkey rub
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- salt - season liberally
- 1 cup water
- Drain jackfruit. Using your fingers shred jackfruit chunks and rinse very well.
- Add shredded and rinsed jackfruit to pan
- Stir in onions, seasonings and water.
- Bring jackfruit to a simmer, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes until liquid has been absorbed.
- Use in place of chicken in tacos, wraps, etc.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 92mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 3gSugar: 28gProtein: 7g
Prefer to Watch the Cooking Video?
Tacos & Wraps
We were thrilled to try this in Chicken style tacos and Buffalo Jackfruit Wrap (recipe coming soon). Let us know how you use it by snapping a pic and #veginspiredfoodie and tagging us @veginspired on Instagram and Facebook. We love to see your creations.
Enjoy & Eat More Plants!