Vegan Hoppin’ John 2 Ways
We are hoppin’ into 2018 with two delicious and Vegan Hoppin’ John recipes. With these two fantastic recipes at your fingertips, you are sure to have a prosperous year full of good luck! So grab your black-eyed peas and collard greens and keep reading so you can pick one of the Vegan Hoppin’ John 2 ways recipes, or make them both, we did!
Hoppin’ John Freekeh
We’ve used freekeh before, Pizza Freekeh or Cajun Freekeh with Kale, but this time we pair it with some traditional New Year ingredients for a winning combination perfect to bring you a prosperous 2018!
- 1/2 onion, , minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup freekeh
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can black-eyed peas , drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bunch collard greens, de-stemmed, chopped
- 4 oz Chorizo Seitan, We use 1/2 the pack from Upton's Naturals
- 1 bay leaf
- splash red wine vinegar
- Sauté the onions until soft
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds
- Add vegetable broth and water and bring to a boil
- Add freekeh
- Stir in spices and add the rest of the ingredients
- Cook until Freekeh is tender, and most of the liquid is absorbed; about 20 minutes
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in a splash of red wine vinegar
- Remove bay leaf, stir, and serve with sauerkraut, hot sauce, and red wine vinegar.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
We can not express our gratitude enough for your continued support of VegInspired! We wish you a healthy, happy, and plant-filled new year! Let’s make 2018 great together!
Eat More Plants!
Kathy & John