Plant Based Cinco De Mayo
Cinco de Mayo is another one of those Americanized “holidays” where we grab some cervezas and guacamole and have a fiesta. Eating a mostly whole food plant based diet, we wanted to come up with some tasty recipes that still gave us that Mexican inspiration. Enter the Tofu Tinga.
Tinga is traditionally made with chicken and a tomato sauce with onions and chipotle in adobo. We skipped the chicken, but still wanted a filling with a toothsome texture. Enter our baked tofu. Baking the tofu removes some of the excess water, giving the tofu a heartier and toothier texture; perfect when added to the tinga sauce and eaten on toasted corn tortillas.
Want to grab more Cinco de Mayo plant based recipes? Click on the video below for some Taco Popcorn and some Churro Inspired Banana Nice Cream. YUM!
Since I am less inclined to add a bunch of heat to my recipes, these fall in the mild category, but could certainly be kicked up a notch with additional chipotle in adobo or hot sauce added when served. Enjoy!
- 1 14 oz firm tofu
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/2 - 1 chipotle in adobo, minced, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 can refried beans
- corn tortillas
- lime wedges
- avocado, cubed
- 1 green onion, sliced
- vegan sour cream (we made ours from the PlantPure Cookbook)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, slice tofu into 1/2 inch slabs and place on parchment-lined baking sheet; bake for 20-25 minutes; chop and set aside
- Saute onions until soft; add spices and cook briefly until fragrant
- Stir in tomato sauce, tofu, and chipotle; simmer to blend flavors
- Heat up Refried Beans and Toast corn tortillas in oven for a crispy tortilla
- Assemble: corn tortilla, refried beans, tofu tinga, avocado, green onions, a squeeze of lime, cilantro, a drizzle of sour cream.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Eating Plant Based
We have found that preparation wins in times like this… when you want to celebrate things you celebrated before you adopted a plantbased or vegan lifestyle. Headed to a Cinco de Mayo Party or hosting some friends? Prepare similar dishes with a unique twist, here are some of our faves… potato tacos, nachos with cashew cheese, plant based taco layer dip (or a vegan taco dip) or even something like Taco Bolognese (which was phenomenal!).
Whatever you do, remember, the reason you adopted this lifestyle, stay true to you. Also, remember the reason you are gathering. While most gatherings revolve around food, the real purpose is for camaraderie and friendship, so enjoy the time with family and friends and bring your tasty plant based dishes to share.
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Eat More Plants and Live VegInspired!